Today in this article we will see the various types of site templates available in SharePoint 2013 and Office 365. The new version of SharePoint provides many templates that help users to maintain their site structures and to fulfill their desire.
Let’s see what it has for us.
When you create a site you enter this form where you need to fill in the following details.
- Title and Description
- Web Site Address: The name you want to be present on the URL.
- Template Selection: You can select the language for the site and a template to build the site.
- Permissions: If you are creating a sub site you can either inherit the permission levels of the main site or create a unique level of permissions.
- Navigation Inheritance: An option to assign the top link as in the parent site.
Now we will see the various kinds of templates available for the creation of the site in SharePoint 2013 or Office 365.
It has been categorized into the following.
It has been divided as:
- Team Site: A place to work together with a group of people.
- Blog: A site for a person or team to post ideas, observations and expertise that site visitors can comment on.
- Project Site: A site for managing and collaborating on a project. This site template brings all status, communication and artifacts relevant to the project into one place.
- Community Site: A place where community members discuss topics of common interest. Members can browse and discover relevant content by exploring categories, sorting discussions by popularity or by viewing only posts that have a best reply. Members gain reputation points by participating in the community, such as starting discussions and replying to them, liking posts and specifying best replies.
Next we have enterprise that has been divided as:
- Document Center: A site to centrally manage documents in your enterprise.
- Records Center: This template creates a site designed for records management. Records managers can configure the routing table to direct incoming files to specific locations. The site also lets you manage whether records can be deleted or modified after they are added to the repository.
- Business Intelligence Center: A site for presenting Business Intelligence content in SharePoint.
- Enterprise Search Center: A site focused on delivering an enterprise-wide search experience. Includes a welcome page with a search box that connects users to four search results page experiences: one for general searches, one for people searches, one for conversation searches and one for video searches. You can add and customized new results pages to focus on other types of search queries.
- Basic Search Center: A site focused on delivering a basic search experience. Includes a welcome page with a search box that connects users to a search results page and an advanced search page. This Search Center will not appear in navigation.
- Visio Process Repository: A site for viewing, sharing and storing Visio process diagrams. It includes a versioned Document Library and templates for Basic Flowcharts, Cross-functional Flowcharts and BPMN diagrams.
Then we have publishing template that has been divided as:
- Publishing Site: A blank site for expanding your Web site and quickly publishing Web pages. Contributors can work on draft versions of pages and publish them to make them visible to readers. The site includes document and image libraries for storing Web publishing assets.
- Publishing Site with workflow: A site for publishing Web pages on a schedule by using approval workflows. It includes document and image libraries for storing Web publishing assets. By default, only sites with this template can be created under this site.
- Enterprise Wiki: A site for publishing knowledge that you capture and want to share across the enterprise. It provides an easy content editing experience in a single location for co-authoring content, discussions and project management.
- Duet Enterprise
Lastly a new option SAP Workflow Site Template:
- SAP Workflow Site: An SAP Workflow site that aggregates all user business tasks. You can add other Web Parts related to that workflow.
With many new templates SharePoint 2013 provides users with multiple kinds of options they want their sites to be. We will start seeing what all the sites are using, the new templates it has, in our future new articles, until then.