Welcome to an article on how to create a Site Collection in SharePoint Office 365. A site collection will act like a base for all of your different sites on SharePoint. You can use it for your organization or a public facing website.
When it comes to Office 365, only the tenant admins have access to SharePoint Admin Center so the following creation can only be done if you have tenant access.
If you are a tenant administrator, you can create a site collection and share it with everyone.
Let’s see how we can do it,
- Click on the left corner of your SharePoint site to view the apps.
- Click on Admin.
- You will come to the “SharePoint admin center”.
- Select Site Collections on the left navigation.
- You will see the options about Site Collections, as per the screen above.
- Click on New.
- Title: Provide the title of the site collection.
- Web Site Address: Select the web site address as /sites/ or /teams/ and provide the title as your url should have.
- Template selection:
Under the Template Section, select a language in which you want to build your site collection.
Then you can choose your template, based on the following categories.
Under the collaboration section, we have the following templates.
- Team Site
- Developer Site
- Project Site
- Community Site
Under the Enterprise section, we have the following templates,
- Document Center
- eDiscovery Center
- Team Site- SharePoint Online configuration
- Business Intelligence center
- Compliance Policy center
- Enterprise search Center
- My Site Host
- Community Portal
- Basic Search Center
- Visio Process Repository
Under the publishing section, you have,
- Publishing Portal
- Enterprise Wiki
Here you can choose a custom template which you can build based on your requirement.
- Time Zone: You can select a time zone for your site collection here.
- Administrator: You can choose an administrator who will have the full control on your site collection.
- Server Resource Quota:
You should provide a specific quota to your site collection so that it does not degrade the performance for other site collections. As this is for our development phase, we might have many apps and many custom connections so we can choose the default quota so that our admin center has no issues.
Once you have configured, Click on OK and your new Collection will be created.
Here in this article we saw how to create a site collection in SharePoint office 365, there are more to come. Keep reading and keep learning!