What is SharePoint?
Organizations use SharePoint to create websites. You can use it as a secure place to store, organize, share, and access information from almost any device. All you need is a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Firefox. Want to learn more? Get started with SharePoint.
Take a look at the latest version of SharePoint. When you create a new team site, this is what you’ll see.
SharePoint products and downloads
- SharePoint Online A cloud-based service, hosted by Microsoft, for businesses of all sizes. Instead of installing and deploying SharePoint Server on premises, any business can now simply subscribe to an Office 365 plan, or the standalone SharePoint Online service, and their employees can create sites to share documents and information with colleagues, partners, and customers. Give Office 365 a try!
- SharePoint Foundation The underlying technology for all SharePoint sites. SharePoint Foundation is available for free on premises deployment—in previous versions it was called Windows SharePoint Services. You can use SharePoint Foundation to quickly create many types of sites where you can collaborate on Web pages, documents, lists, calendars, and data. Download SharePoint Foundation 2013.
- SharePoint Server Organizations can deploy and manage SharePoint Server on premises. It includes all the features of SharePoint Foundation plus additional features and capabilities, such as Enterprise Content Management, business intelligence, enterprise search, personal sites, and Newsfeed. Give SharePoint Server 2013 a try!
- SharePoint Designer A free program for designing, building, and customizing Web sites that run on SharePoint Foundation and SharePoint Server. With SharePoint Designer, you can create data-rich Web pages, build powerful workflow-enabled solutions, and design the look and feel of your site. The sites you create can range from small project management team sites to dashboard-driven portal solutions for large enterprises.Download SharePoint Designer 2013.
- SharePoint Workspace A desktop program that you can use to take SharePoint site content offline and collaborate on the content with others while you are disconnected from the network. While you and other team members are offline, you can make changes to SharePoint content that will eventually synchronize back to the SharePoint site. In SharePoint 2013, SharePoint Workspace was replaced with OneDrive for Business folder sync.
- OneDrive for Business folder sync A desktop program that you can use to sync an offline version of a team site or OneDrive for Business library to a folder on your computer. Learn more about OneDrive for Business.
For more information about trying, buying, or using SharePoint products and technologies, see SharePoint product information.
*Reference by Microsoft site.
2013 is upcoming, 2010 is still in and 2007 will stay for a while, so In short this site will have info for all the three SharePoint platforms where I will share with you my project experiences as well as new techie knowledge on new platform.
Keep following me…
Cheers to SharePoint,
For any queries contact me by posting a comment, I’ll reach you soon.